Due to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, there are changes to this program.
Travelling beyond the next 25 business days
Over 300 points of service assist Canadians in applying for passports.
A point of service refers to a Service Canada location that:
- accepts passport applications
- validates birth certificates and certificates of citizenship on site, and
- accepts payment
If we cannot validate your document(s) on site, we will send the original(s) to the processing centre.
Note: Processing requires 20 business days, plus mailing time.
Dual Canadian citizens must have a valid Canadian passport with them when:
- travelling to Canada, or
- transiting through Canada by air
Travelling within the next 25 business days
Some offices offer urgent and/or express and pick-up service. Please refer to our complete list of offices to find one with a processing time of 10 business days or less.
You must also apply at one of these offices if:
- only 1 parent of a child signs the application form unless:
- there is only 1 parent listed on the child’s birth certificate or proof of parentage document
- you submit a death certificate for the other parent
You can pay your application fees by:
- certified cheque or money order (postal or bank) made payable to the Receiver General for Canada
- credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express)
- debit card
Application forms are available on the web page Find a Passport Form.
If you meet certain criteria, you can renew your passport using the Simplified Renewal Application Process.
If you live outside Canada or the United States, visit the Canadian Passports website.
Note: Everyone travelling to the United States by land, sea, or air, must have with them:
- a valid passport, or
- another secure document
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: