Passport peak season is here – apply or renew today! Passport services are now offered at over 300 Service Canada Centres.
At Service Canada Centres clients are able to submit general passport applications (adult and child) and simplified renewal passport applications and have them reviewed to make sure that they are accurate and complete. Service Canada Centres also validate the original citizenship document, return the original on the spot, and forward the application package for processing. Once the application has been approved and the passport is issued, it will be delivered to the mailing address specified in the application.
Important notice: Travelling within the next 20 business days
If you plan to travel within the next 20 business days, please apply in person at a Passport Office.
Types of applications that receiving agents can accept
- 5-year and 10-year general adult applications
- 5-year child applications
- 5-year and 10-year adult simplified renewal applications
Types of applications that receiving agents cannot accept
Passport applications for the situations described below cannot be accepted at Service Canada Centres and must be submitted at a Passport Office:
- Your application is urgent (i.e., you will be travelling in less than the advertised processing times)
- Your current passport is still valid for more than one year
- Your current passport is lost, stolen, damaged inaccessible or found (form PPTC 203 is required)
- You do not have a guarantor
- You are applying on behalf of a child and only one of the parents is participating in the application, except in the two following specific instances:
- there is only one parent listed on the child’s birth certificate or proof of parentage document.
- a death certificate is submitted for one of the parents listed on the child’s birth certificate or proof of parentage document.
- You are requesting a free replacement and
- Your application includes a legal name change that is not due to a change in relationship status.
Canadian citizenship document validation
Service Canada receiving agent locations are authorized to verify your proof of Canadian citizenship document on the spot. Once the citizenship document has been validated, a photocopy will be made and the original will be returned to you.
In the event that it is impossible to validate the citizenship document presented, the original citizenship document will be forwarded to the Passport Program with the application.
On July 1, 2013, new passport fees came into effect.
You can pay your application fees at a Service Canada Centre by:
- certified cheque or money order (postal or bank) made payable to the Receiver General for Canada
- credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express)
- debit card
Application forms are available online on the Passport Program website.
- If you are a Canadian citizen and you meet certain eligibility criteria, you can renew your passport using the Simplified Renewal Application Process.
- If you are currently living abroad, please visit the Passport Program website to find out details about applying for a passport abroad.
- As of June 1, 2009, everyone travelling to the United States by land, sea, or air, including U.S. and Canadian citizens, must present a valid passport or another secure document. For a comprehensive list of acceptable documents please visit the Canada Border Services Agency's website.
- As of November 10, 2016, dual Canadian citizens used to travelling to or transiting through Canada by air with a non-Canadian passport, must present a valid Canadian passport to board their flight
- Service Standards
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: