Share your ideas: Amendments to the Metal and Diamond Mining Effluent Regulations for the Macassa Project
Current status: Open
This consultation is open from May 29, 2023, to July 29, 2023.
Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) is seeking comments from the public and Indigenous Nations on a proposed authorization under the Metal and Diamond Mining Effluent Regulations (MDMER) for the disposal of mine waste in fish-frequented water bodies at the Macassa mine site. This requires an amendment to Schedule 2 of the MDMER to list these water bodies as “tailings impoundment areas”.
- Kirkland Lake Gold Limited (the Proponent) is proposing to expand the Macassa Mine to increase the tailings capacity and extend the operational life of the mine by expanding its existing tailings management facility. The gold mine is located in northeastern Ontario, adjacent to the town of Kirkland Lake.
- The regulatory amendments, if approved, would list water bodies frequented by fish as “Tailings Impoundment Areas, for the Macassa Mine.
Focus of this consultation
ECCC is consulting on the Alternatives Assessment report and the Fish Habitat Compensation Plan.
- Alternative Assessment (PDF) (prepared by the proponent and available in English only)
- Summary of the Alternatives Assessment (PDF) (prepared by the proponent)
- Fish Habitat Compensation Plan (PDF) (prepared by the proponent and available in English only)
- Summary of the Fish Habitat Compensation Plan (PDF) (prepared by the proponent)
How to participate
Send a letter with your ideas and input to the address and contact information below.
Send an email with your ideas or comments using the contact information below.
Comments must be submitted by July 29, 2023
Please read our privacy statement for this consultation.
Who is the focus of this consultation
ECCC would like to hear from:
- Indigenous Peoples
- provincial, territorial and local governments
- industry stakeholders and association members
- non-governmental organizations
- general public
- Tailings Impoundment Areas
- Metal and Diamond Mining Effluent Regulations
- Fisheries Act
- Guidelines for the assessment of alternatives for mine waste disposal
- Guide To The Regulatory Process For Listing Water Bodies Frequented By Fish In Schedule 2 Of The Metal And Diamond Mining Effluent Regulations
Environment and Climate Change Canada
Mining and Processing Division
351 boul. St-Joseph, 11th floor
Gatineau QC K1A 0H3
- Date modified: