Share your ideas: Renewal of the Federal Agenda for Volatile Organic Compounds in Consumer and Commercial Products
Current status: Closed
Opened on March 10, 2021 and will close to new input on April 8, 2021
The Government of Canada is seeking your comments on the 2021 to 2028 agenda to reduce volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in consumer and commercial products. Your comments will help shape this agenda to improve air quality across the country for the coming years.
VOCs are precursors of ground-level ozone and fine particulate matter, two main components of smog. In urban areas, consumer and commercial products are the major source of VOCs emissions. These products include, among others, aerosol coatings, architectural coatings, automotive refinishing products, cutback and emulsified asphalt and printing ink.
On March 27, 2004, a Notice of Intent entitled Federal Agenda on the Reduction of Emissions of Volatile Organic Compounds from Consumer and Commercial Products, was published in the Canada Gazette, Part I. This document outlined measures to be developed and implemented between 2004 and 2010 to control and reduce emissions of VOCs from consumer and commercial products.
The first step to implement this 2004 Federal Agenda was to announce a commitment to develop three sets of regulations. Two of these regulations were published in 2009 to limit the VOCs content in: 1) automotive refinish products and in 2) architectural coatings. The third set of regulations has been proposed, and will cover certain consumer products in Canada.
This consultation will help take into consideration stakeholder comments to better shape the path forward to reduce VOCs emissions in consumer and commercial products. Following the consultation, a Notice of Intent laying the new agenda will be published in the Canada Gazette, Part 1.
Who is the focus of this consultation
The Government of Canada would like to engage with:
- Paints and coatings industry
- Automotive refinishing industry
- Portable fuel container manufacturers
- Printing industry
- Adhesives and sealants industry
- Provincial and territorial governments
- Renewal of the Federal Agenda on the Reduction of Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) Emissions from Consumer and Commercial Products for the 2021 to 2028 Period – discussion paper
- Renewal of the Federal Agenda on the Reduction of Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) Emissions from Consumer and Commercial Products : a discussion paper for the 2010 to 2020 period
- Volatile organic compounds in products
Environment and Climate Change Canada
Industrial Sectors and Chemicals Directorate
351, boul. Saint-Joseph, Gatineau, QC, K1A 0H3
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: