Addition of azo disperse dyes to the National Pollutant Release Inventory: Closed consultation
Current status: Closed
This consultation ran from May 3, 2019 to June 27, 2019.
We consulted Canadians about the addition of a group of 26 azo disperse dyes to the list of National Pollutant Release Inventory (NPRI) substances beginning in 2020. These substances are used to dye textiles.
Who was the focus of this consultation
The Government of Canada engaged with:
- a multi-stakeholder work group (includes representatives from industry associations, environmental non-government organizations, and Indigenous organizations)
- members of the public
Key questions for discussion
We sought input around the following topic:
- adding a group of azo disperse dyes with molar weights below 360 g/mol to the NPRI
Azo disperse dyes would be required to be reported by facilities if:
- employees work a total of 20 000 hours or more at the facility; and
- the facility manufactures, processes or otherwise uses 10 kilograms or more of the substance at a concentration of 1% or more
Send an email to email@example.com to request a copy of the full consultation document.
The input gathered through this process was used to determine if azo disperse dyes would be added to the NPRI beginning in 2020.
What we heard
- Proposed changes to National Pollutant Release Inventory reporting requirements for 2020-2021 : summary of stakeholder comments and Environment and Climate Change Canada's response
Idea number one: increase in resources required to report to the NPRI
Some stakeholders were concerned that while all facilities will be subject to the reporting requirements, these substances are only associated with specific sectors or activities.
Idea number two: other mechanisms for collecting data
Environment and Climate Change Canada should consider if NPRI is the appropriate method for collecting this data.
Idea number three: support for proposed change
Some stakeholders expressed support for this change.
National Pollutant Release Inventory
351 St-Joseph Blvd. 5th Floor
Gatineau, QC K1A 0H3
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: