4.1.3 Pros and cons of using credit
Borrowing money is neither good nor bad. Credit is a tool. As with all tools, whether it is positive or negative depends on how well you handle it.
- You don't have to wait to save up the money to buy or do what you want. You can achieve your goals sooner.
- You can build a positive credit history by using debt responsibly. This can make it easier to borrow in the future, perhaps for bigger and more costly goals.
- It allows you to pay for unexpected expenses, such as car repairs.
- You have to budget for regular repayments.
- Interest adds to the cost of the debt.
- Having to repay a loan limits the amount of money you have available, now and in the future, for other goals or needs.
- If you don't repay loans it will result in a bad credit history, making it more difficult to borrow in the future.
- Date modified: