Consultation: Restricting food advertising primarily directed at children
Current status: Open
Opened on April 25, 2023 and will close to new input on June 12, 2023.
About this consultation
Health Canada is seeking comments on a policy update on restricting food advertising primarily directed at children on television and digital media. This policy will form the basis of a draft regulatory framework.
Join in: how to participate
Health Canada released its policy update on April 25, 2023. We invite you to submit your input by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 12, 2023.
On May 11, 2023, we will host webinars to provide an explanation of the proposed policy, an introduction to the cost-benefit-analysis survey and an opportunity to ask questions. Sending questions in advance is encouraged to try to ensure we can address as many questions as possible.
Click on the appropriate link below to register for the webinar:
- English webinar: Thursday May 11, 2023, 1:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. EDT
- French webinar: Thursday May 11, 2023, 9:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. EDT
Who is the focus of this consultation?
We want to hear from:
- members of the public
- health professionals
- researchers and academics
- consumer and non-governmental organisations
- provincial, territorial, and municipal governments
- First Nations, Inuit and Métis partners and organizations
- industry stakeholders and professional associations
- other interested parties
We are looking for feedback on the topics of:
- Defining advertising that is primarily directed at children
- Targeting restrictions to advertising on television and digital media
- Restricting advertisements for foods that contribute to excess intakes of sodium, sugars or saturated fat
- Health Canada's healthy eating strategy
- Forward regulatory plan 2022-2024
- 2017 Consultation Report: Restricting marketing of unhealthy food and beverages to children in Canada
Bureau of Policy, Intergovernmental and International Affairs, Food Directorate
Health Products and Food Branch, Health Canada
251 Sir Frederick Banting
Postal Locator 2204C
Ottawa, ON K1A 0K9
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: