Spiro[isobenzofuran-1(3H),9'-[9H]xanthen]-3-one, 2',4',5',7'-tetrabromo-3',6'-dihydroxy- (D & C Red No. 21)
CAS Registry Number 15086-94-9
What is it?
- D&C Red No. 21 is a red dye.
How is it used?
- D&C Red No. 21 is used primarily as a dye in cosmetics.
- Based on the most recent data available, D&C Red No. 21 is imported into Canada in very small quantities (less than 100 kg/year).
Why did the Government of Canada assess It?
- D&C Red No. 21 was identified as a potential concern to the environment based on available information regarding possible persistence, accumulation and potential to cause harm to the environment.
How is it released to the environment?
- D&C Red No. 21 may be released to the environment through product disposal and by washing certain cosmetic products off the skin and down the drain.
What is the Government of Canada doing?
- The Government of Canada has conducted an evaluation of D&C Red No. 21 based on science, called a screening assessment.
- The Government of Canada has determined that D&C Red No. 21 is not harmful to the environment. Therefore, no further action will be taken on D&C Red No. 21.
- The final screening assessment report was published on January 31, 2009.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: