Re-evaluation Note REV2012-18, Re-evaluation Project Plan for Flumetsulam
Pest Management Regulatory Agency
13 December 2012
ISSN: 1925-0649 (PDF version)
Catalogue number: H113-5/2012-18E-PDF (PDF version)
In Canada, flumetsulam is under re-evaluation by Health Canada's Pest Management Regulatory Agency (PMRA). The PMRA's pesticide re-evaluation program considers potential risks as well as the value of pesticide products to ensure they continue to meet standards of modern science and current policy established to protect human health and the environment. Under the authority of section 16 of the Pest Control Products Act, the registrant of flumetsulam was notified of the initiation of the re-evaluation of flumetsulam. Following this, the registrant of the flumetsulam technical grade active ingredient in Canada indicated their intention to support all uses included on the labels of commercial products in Canada. This Re-evaluation Note outlines a project plan and timeline for review, as well as summarizes the anticipated areas of focus related to the re-evaluation of flumetsulam.
Flumetsulam is a selective herbicide that has been registered in Canada since 1996. Flumetsulam is currently registered for control of broadleaf weeds and annual grasses in hybrid field corn and soybeans in Eastern Canada only (Use-Site Categories 7, 13 and 14). Registered flumetsulam end-use products are formulated as a solution, or wettable or soluble granules (with or without water soluble packaging), to be applied once per year by ground equipment.
The project plan discussed below outlines the anticipated area(s) of focus and risk assessments required to complete the re-evaluation of flumetsulam. Should additional information become available during the re-evaluation period that affects the regulatory status of flumetsulam, the PMRA will reconsider the area(s) of focus and risk assessments required. Currently, a proposed re-evaluation decision for flumetsulam is anticipated to be published for consultation in 2013.
Re-evaluation Project Plan
Human Health Risk Assessment
- A review of flumetsulam toxicology was conducted in support of the initial registration and the toxicology database for flumetsulam still meets current requirements.
- Occupational and dietary exposure assessments previously conducted to support the registered uses will be verified to ensure that health risks associated with the use of flumetsulam continue to be acceptable.
Environmental Risk Assessment
- Environmental label statements will be updated to reflect current standards and the Toxic Substances Management Policy (TSMP) will be considered. Buffer zones for the protection of sensitive terrestrial and aquatic habitats will be calculated based on current practices.
- The value of flumetsulam will be considered. The viability of alternatives will be examined if risks of concern are identified.
- No additional data requirements have been identified for flumetsulam at this time.
Anticipated Timeline for Re-evaluation
- A proposed re-evaluation decision for flumetsulam is anticipated to be published for consultation in 2013.
PMRA documents can be found on our website at www.healthcanada.gc.ca/pmra. PMRA documents are also available through the Pest Management Information Service. Phone: 1-800-267-6315 within Canada or 1-613-736-3799 outside Canada (long distance charges apply); fax: 613-736-3798; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: