Re-evaluation Note REV2012-05, Re-evaluation Project Plan for Isoxaben
Pest Management Regulatory Agency
9 November 2012
ISSN: 1925-0649 (PDF version)
Catalogue number: H113-5/2012-5E-PDF (PDF version)
In Canada, isoxaben is under re-evaluation by Health Canada's Pest Management Regulatory Agency (PMRA). The PMRA's pesticide re-evaluation program considers potential risks as well as the value of pesticide products to ensure they continue to meet standards of modern science and current policy established to protect human health and the environment. Under the authority of section 16 of the Pest Control Products Act, the registrant of isoxaben was notified of the initiation of the re-evaluation of isoxaben. Following this, the registrant of the isoxaben technical grade active ingredient in Canada indicated their intention to support all uses included on the label of the commercial class product in Canada. This Re-evaluation Note outlines a project plan and timeline for review, as well as summarizes the anticipated area(s) of focus related to the re-evaluation of isoxaben.
Isoxaben is a selective pre-emergence herbicide that has been registered in Canada since 1995. Isoxaben is currently registered for uses under the Use-site Category 27, Ornamental Outdoors, to control certain broadleaved weeds. There is currently one registered isoxaben end-use product formulated as a granular formulation, which is applied by low-pressure ground spray equipment.
The project plan discussed below outlines the anticipated area(s) of focus and risk assessments required to complete the re-evaluation of isoxaben. Should additional information become available during the re-evaluation period that affects the regulatory status of isoxaben, the Agency will reconsider the area(s) of focus and risk assessments required. Currently, a proposed re-evaluation decision for isoxaben is anticipated to be published for consultation in Winter 2013.
Re-evaluation Project Plan
Human Health Risk Assessment
- A review of isoxaben toxicology was conducted in support of the initial registration and the toxicology database for isoxaben is considered complete. Pest Control Products Act hazard considerations will be addressed.
- Occupational risk assessments previously conducted to support the registered uses will be verified to ensure that they continue to meet the standards of modern science and reflect current policy. Residential exposure will be addressed.
- Based on the registered use pattern for isoxaben a dietary exposure assessment is not required.
Environmental Risk Assessment
- Environmental risk mitigation measures will be reviewed to ensure consistency with current label requirements and the Toxic Substances Management Policy (TSMP) will be considered. Buffer zones for the protection of sensitive terrestrial and aquatic habitats will be calculated based on current practises.
- The value of isoxaben will be considered. The viability of alternatives will be examined if risks of concern are identified.
- No additional data requirements have been identified for isoxaben at this time.
Anticipated Timeline for Re-evaluation
- A proposed re-evaluation decision for isoxaben is anticipated to be published for consultation by Winter 2013.
PMRA documents can be found on our website at healthcanada.gc.ca/pmra. PMRA documents are also available through the Pest Management Information Service. Phone: 1-800-267-6315 within Canada or 1-613-736-3799 outside Canada (long distance charges apply); fax: 613-736-3798; e-mail at email@example.com.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: