Fact sheet on the requirements for the commercial importation of pest control products
The purpose of this document is to provide information on the requirements for importing pest control products, which include products for sale, manufacturing use and research.
All pesticides imported into Canada must meet Canadian standards, i.e., be registered or scheduled under the Pest Control Products Act (PCPA), and bear the Canadian label.
- The PCPA defines pest control products as "any product, device, organism, substance or thing that is manufactured, represented, sold or used as a means for directly or indirectly controlling, preventing, destroying, mitigating, attracting or repelling any pest, and includes:
- any compound or substance that enhances or modifies or is intended to enhance or modify the physical or chemical characteristics of a control product to which it is added, and
- any active ingredient used for the manufacture of a control product."
- A pest control product can be a chemical, a device or a microorganism.
- Chemical pest control products include:
- flea and tick powders
- animal repellents
- wood preservatives
- insect repellent
- ear tags for cattle
- pool chemicals
- insect repellents
- herbicides anti-fouling paints
- Pest control devices include:
- ultrasonic and electronic repellers
- swimming pool algicide and actericide devices
- Microbial pest control products are products consisting of microorganisms.
A microorganism is any organism too small to be visible to the naked eye, and includes bacteria, viruses, fungi, protozoa, mycoplasma or rickettsia that are represented for or used in controlling pests.
Note: Microorganisms that are not represented as pest control products are not subject to the requirements of the PCPA, but may be subject to other importation requirements for microbes and microorganisms covered under other federal acts.
Imported goods will be released by Customs only when documentation requirements have been met.
Declaration by importer of control products form
Follow the instructions that are included with the forms.
Currently, several versions of the Declaration by Importer of Control Products are acceptable:
- AGR 1169
- HC/SC 2110-01
- HC/SC 6018 pdf file
(please select 8½ × 14 paper size when printing form from the PMRA website)
If you have further questions on importation, refer to your telephone directory for the Pest Management Regulatory Agency office in your region.
Atlantic Region: Moncton, Charlottetown or Kentville
Quebec Region: Montreal
Ontario Region: Guelph or London
Manitoba Region: Winnipeg
Saskatchewan Region: Regina or Saskatoon
Alberta Region: Calgary, Lethbridge or Edmonton
British Columbia Region: New Westminster or Kelowna
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: