Notice of modification to update the incorporated by reference document entitled nutrition labelling – Table of reference amounts for food
Health Canada has amended the Table of Reference Amounts for Food on November 24, 2022, based on new consumption data and market trends, and to address identified gaps in certain food categories. Manufacturers will have until January 1, 2026 to comply with the updated Table of Reference Amounts for Food.
The Table of Reference Amounts for Food sets out reference amounts for different food categories, which:
- represent the amount of food typically consumed in one eating occasion;
- are used to determine what is considered to be a single-serving prepackaged product;
- serve as the basis for determining the serving size to be declared in the Nutrition Facts table (NFt) of multiple-serving prepackaged products;
- serve as part of the criteria for making nutrient content claims and health claims; and
- factor into the requirements for the new front-of-package nutrition symbol.
Health Canada is taking the opportunity to update the Table of Reference Amounts for Food using food consumption data from the most recent (2015) Canadian Community Health Survey (CCHS). Based on stakeholder feedback, which identified gaps in the Table and areas requiring further clarity, Health Canada has:
- Modified or added new reference amount categories and product examples to existing food categories
- Provided additional instructions for the serving of stated size declaration for different food formats
- Added a serving of stated size declaration based on instructions for the amount to make the reference amount of the food, for foods sold in a format requiring further preparation, such as cake mix
The purpose of this communication is to announce that the Table of Reference Amounts for Food has been amended and to provide the appropriate contact information for those wishing to submit an inquiry or new information relevant to this notice. For more details and information about this notice, please consult the information document below.
Health Canada's Food Directorate is committed to reviewing any new information relating to this notice. Interested persons wishing to submit any inquiries on this notice may do so in writing, by regular mail or electronically. If you wish to contact the Food Directorate electronically, please use the words "Table of Reference Amounts for Food (NOM/ADM-QRA-2022-1)" in the subject line of your e-mail and be addressed to:
Bureau of Nutritional Sciences, Food Directorate
Health Products and Food Branch, Health Canada
251 Sir Frederick Banting Driveway
Tunney's Pasture, PL: 2203E
Ottawa, ON K1A 0K9
- Date modified: