Food and Nutrition
Safe food and good nutrition are important to Canadians. Maintaining the safety of Canada's food supply is a shared responsibility among government, industry and consumers. Eating a nutritious and balanced diet is one of the best ways to protect and promote good health.
- Advisories, Warnings and Recalls
- Canada's Food Guide
- Food and Nutrition Surveillance
- Food Labelling
- Foods marketed as Natural Health Products
- Food Safety
- Genetically Modified (GM) Foods and Other Novel Foods
- International Activities
- Nutrition and Healthy Eating
- Public Involvement and Partnerships
- Research Programs and Analytical Methods
- Legislation and Guidelines
- Reports and Publications
What is Health Canada doing?
Health Canada is responsible for:
- Establishing policies, setting standards and providing advice and information on the safety and nutritional value of food.
- Promoting the nutritional health and well-being of Canadians by collaboratively defining, promoting and implementing evidence-based nutrition policies and standards.
- Administering the provisions of the Food and Drugs Act that relate to public health, safety and nutrition.
- Evaluating the safety, quality and effectiveness of veterinary drugs.
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency provides all federal inspection services related to food and enforces the food safety and nutritional quality standards established by Health Canada.
What Information is Available?
In this section you will find information on food safety and nutrition, including:
- Controlling chemical and microbiological contaminants in foods.
- Nutrition and healthy eating, including Canada's Food Guide.
- Assuring the safety of novel foods (including genetically modified foods), and food additives.
- Nutrition labelling.
- Food consumption and nutrient intake.
- Veterinary drugs and food-producing animals.
- Information about nanotechnology-based health products and food.
- Health Products & Food Regulatory Modernization Health Canada has initiated work to modernize the regulatory system for food and health products. The regulation of these products is an important activity that supports the health and well-being of Canadians. This work builds on the Regulatory Modernization Strategy for Food and Nutrition.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: