Health Canada and Rights4Vapers Meeting – August 9, 2022
Download the alternative format
(PDF format, 217 KB, 2 pages)
Rights4Vapers requested a meeting to provide Health Canada with information on the topics of Canadians who vape and vape shops.
August 9, 2022
Health Canada (HC)
- Kendal Weber, Assistant Deputy Minister, Controlled Substances and Cannabis Branch (CSCB)
- Sonia Johnson, Director General, Tobacco Control Directorate (TCD), CSCB
- Laura Smith, Director, Tobacco and Vaping Policy, TCD, CSCB
- Maria Papaioannoy
A meeting was held at the request of Rights4Vapers to provide Health Canada with information regarding Canadians who vape and vape shops.
Health Canada read a transparency and openness statement, reminding Rights4Vapers that the meeting is subject to disclosure as per Health Canada's Openness and Transparency policies. In the interest of transparency, the Department stated that it would be making a record of the meeting publicly available. The handling of information and privacy notice was mentioned and acknowledged.
Health Canada also referred to Article 5.3 of the World Health Organization Framework Convention on Tobacco Control, the department's international obligation to protect tobacco control policies from the vested interests of the tobacco industry.
The Chair then invited participants to introduce themselves.
Rights4Vapers provided information on the following:
- Their organization and collaborations with other people and groups
- Stigma against people who smoke
- Education regarding the health effects of vaping (including relative risk)
- Vape shops and the support provided to customers looking to quit smoking
- Addressing youth vaping
The meeting was then concluded.
- Agenda as provided by Rights4Vapers.
- Date modified: