Vaping in Canada: what we know
On this page
We conduct research about vaping in Canada to:
- assess the size of the vaping product market
- understand how Canadians are using these products
- keep on top of the latest science on vaping
- ask Canadians about their understanding and opinions on vaping products
This is a survey of Canadians 15 years and older. It asks about their use of:
- vaping products
The most recent survey was done in 2017. It showed:
- 15% of Canadians have tried a vaping product (referred to as an e-cigarette in the survey). Youth (15 to 19 years) and young adults (20 to 24 years) have the highest rates of trying vaping. This compares to adults 25 years and older.
- Among Canadians who used a vaping product in the past 30 days, 65% are current smokers and 20% are former smokers. 15% reported having never smoked cigarettes.
- 32% of current or former cigarette smokers who had ever used vaping products reported using it as a quit-smoking aid.
This survey did not include questions about the rate of success of attempts to quit smoking using vaping products.
This is a survey of Canadian students between grades 7 and 12 (secondary I to secondary V in Quebec). It asks about their use of:
- vaping products
The survey is done every 2 years. The most recent survey was done in 2016-17. It showed that:
- 23% of students in grades 7-12 had ever tried a vaping product (referred to as an e-cigarette in the survey). 10% reported using them within the last 30 days.
- most students who had tried a vaping product (such as e-cigarettes) had also tried a cigarette.
- 53% of all students thought it would be "fairly easy" or "very easy" to get a vaping product such as e-cigarettes if they wanted one.
Retailer behaviour data
We use research studies to:
- inform decision-making concerning the vaping product market
- monitor how easy it is for youth to get these products
Scientific Advisory Board
Health Canada and the Canadian Institutes of Health Research set up a Scientific Advisory Board on Vaping Products. This advisory board regularly:
- reviews evidence and provides advice
- reviews the science on vaping products
The board includes:
- health professionals
The members are experts in:
- clinical medicine
- population and public health
- basic and biomedical science
|For more information|
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: