Thalidomide Survivors Contribution Program
From Health Canada
This program is intended to help meet the lifetime needs of Canadian thalidomide survivors.
It is being delivered by Crawford & Company Canada (also known as Crawford), an independent third-party service provider.
Crawford is responsible for:
- delivering ongoing support payments
- managing the Extraordinary Medical Assistance Fund (EMAF)
- this fund will pay for specialized surgery, home and vehicle adjustments to accommodate survivor disabilities
- assessing and re-assessing the health status of thalidomide survivors
- determining the eligibility of people who identify themselves as survivors of thalidomide
Ongoing lifetime support through the program includes:
- tax-free payments based on level of disability
- these will increase by 2% a year
- payments will continue for the survivor’s lifetime without the need to reapply
- timely and easy access to the EMAF
- the EMAF will increase by 2% a year
You are eligible for support under the program if you:
- are a Canadian thalidomide survivor who was compensated as per the 1991 Extraordinary Assistance Plan (EAP)
- there is no need to reapply if you are a thalidomide survivor who already received payment through the EAP
- meet 1 of the 3 eligibility requirements set out in the 1991 EAP, which are:
- verifiable information of the receipt of a settlement from the drug company
- documentary proof (for example, medical or pharmacy records) of the maternal use of thalidomide (brand names Kevadon or Talimol) in Canada during the first trimester of pregnancy, or
- listing on an existing government registry of thalidomide victims
Information for potential thalidomide survivors
Contact Crawford if you think you are a survivor of thalidomide who has yet to be recognized by the federal government. You will be asked to submit satisfactory proof that you meet 1 of the 3 listed eligibility requirements.
The deadline for submissions is May 31, 2016. Your submission meets the deadline if it is date-stamped on or before the closing date.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: