In-Canada claims for refugee protection
Special measures are currently in effect due to the disruption of services associated with impacts of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). See further instructions:
This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by IRCC staff. It is posted on the department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.
This section details the steps required to process a refugee claim in Canada. This is referred to as the “front-end process”, in which eligibility of the refugee claim is determined and screening of the claimant is initiated.
Intake is the first step in the in-Canada refugee claim process.
There are 4 ways that a claim is considered to be made in Canada. Learn about
- eligibility for referral to the IRB
- the Safe Third Country Agreement
- special claimant types
- minors and vulnerable persons
- withdrawals and suspensions
- post-interview processing and final decision
- general requirements and administration
- Date modified: