International Mobility Program: Unique work situations – Foreign freelance race jockeys (working in western provinces only)
This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada staff. It is posted on the Department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.
The work permit is required for the Foreign freelance race jockeys as mentioned above, but the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is exempted pursuant to R205(a) (exemption code, C11).
Foreign freelance race jockeys destined to work in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba are eligible for an LMIA exemption if they possess the appropriate credentials. The following documents must be submitted with the work permit application:
- a license or letter confirming eligibility for licensing, from one of the provincial horse-racing authorities that act as regulatory bodies for British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba; and
- an offer of employment from the first employer or horse owner (not the racetrack) making the initial offer and located in one of the four western provinces.
Work permit issuance
- Issuance of the work permit is regionally restricted to the western provinces of British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba (i.e., the location of work for these work permits will encompass all four of the Western provinces). The following visible remarks must be placed on the work permit: “Authorized to work as a horse-racing jockey for any horse-racing employer in the provinces of British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.”
- The duration of the work permit should generally be restricted from February to November to cover the racing season but allow for additional time for related pre- and post-season training and related training activities.
- Officers will use the exemption coding C-11 and the National Occupational Classification (NOC) code 5251 – Athletes. Standard LMIA and work permit requirements will continue to prevail outside the four Western Canadian provinces.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: