Program delivery update: Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot
This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by IRCC staff. It is posted on the department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.
June 16, 2023
The instructions relating to the assessing of applications of the Home Child Care Provider and Home Support Worker pilots have been updated.
On April 30, 2023, the Ministerial Instructions for the Home Child Care and Home Support Worker pilots were amended to:
- reduce the work experience requirement from 24 months to 12 months
- clarify that employers on the job offer must not be businesses
- clarify that home child care work permits and home support work permits (that is, what we refer to as OROWP – occupation-restricted open work permit) are work permits that are issued in connection with the Home Child Care Provider and Home Support Worker classes
- streamline the processing of applications in the Gaining experience category (Category A) that meet the work experience requirement prior to the issuance of an OROWP, by exempting clients from the offer of employment and related requirements
- allow for work authorized under the Immigration and Refugees Protection Regulations and/or public policy to be counted as work experience
- enable the finalization of Category A applications abandoned by the applicant for 36 months or longer:
- proof of work must be provided within 36 months of the issuance of the notice of the initial eligibility assessment (Stage 1 eligibility passed letter) if an OROWP was not issued within that time
The Ministerial Instructions amendments apply to applications that are new and pending.
We are currently updating the other program delivery instructions to reflect the changes. Other PDI pages will be published as soon as possible.
- Date modified: