How to make a request under the Privacy Act

Updated May 29, 2017

We are receiving more requests than usual. We may not be able to meet our service standards.

A request for personal information held by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) should be made to IRCC under the Privacy Act.

There are no fees involved with the processing of a request under the Privacy Act.

To send a request you must be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada or an individual or corporation currently in Canada.

Note: Personal information which belongs to an individual who is not a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada or currently living in Canada must be requested under the Access to Information Act.

The consent form was updated in February 2018. Learn more about the changes.

If you are making a request on behalf of someone else, you must include the Consent for an Access to Information and Personal Information Request (IMM 5744) form. Include this form for each individual listed on your file who is over the age of 18.

Apply online

Applying online is a fast and convenient way to submit your request.

Apply by mail

To submit a request by mail, send in one of the following:

Note: IRCC holds Canadian passport applications, Canadian travel documents (for stateless and protected persons in Canada) or passport investigation files prior to 2002. For these types of requests, you must provide a document to support your identity.

If you wish to obtain passport information in 2002 to date, you must submit your request to Employment and Social Development Canada.

Mail your fully completed request form with the supporting documents to the following address:

Access to Information and Privacy Division
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 1L1


Access to information and privacy requests

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: