Work permit pilot extended for in-Canada family class spouses and common-law partners

Ottawa, January 30, 2019 –The Government of Canada is extending the open work permit pilot for spouses and common-law partners applying for permanent residence under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class until July 31, 2020.

Canada recognizes that when families can work while living together, their integration outcomes are improved. Extending this pilot ensures applicants are able to work, provide for their families and contribute to the Canadian economy while waiting for their permanent resident applications to be processed.

To be eligible for an open work permit under the pilot, you must be living in Canada and be sponsored under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class by your spouse or partner. You must have valid temporary resident status (as a visitor, student or worker) and live at the same address as your sponsor.

If you are submitting a new application, you may submit a work permit application at the same time as your sponsorship application, along with an application for permanent residence. You must include the appropriate fees, and send all completed applications together. Applications must be sent by mail or courier (you cannot deliver them by hand).

By mail:

In-Canada Sponsorship
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
CPC – Mississauga
P.O. Box 5040, Station B
Mississauga, ON L5A 3A4

By courier:

Case Processing Centre – Mississauga
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
2 Robert Speck Parkway, Suite 300
Mississauga, ON L4Z 1H8

If you have already submitted an application for permanent residence but have not yet applied for an open work permit, you can complete the work permit application. Send your completed application, along with the appropriate fee, to:

Case Processing Centre – Edmonton
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
Work permits for spouses or common-law partners, Station 777
9700 Jasper Avenue NW, Suite 55
Edmonton, AB T5J 4C3

If you have already received approval in principle on your permanent residence application – meaning you have received a letter from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) stating you meet the permanent residence eligibility requirements, but you (or your family members) have not yet passed the medical, security and background checks – you may apply for an open work permit online.

If you were provided with a work permit under the initial pilot, you must apply for a work permit extension before your status in Canada lapses.

For more information, visit the Help Centre. If you have a case-specific enquiry, use the IRCC Web form.

Page details

Date modified: