Application for work permit inside Canada – extend, change conditions or initial work permit – includes open work permits
You need to give your biometrics
Outside Canada applicants
Work permit extensions
- You now need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) when you apply to extend your work permit if you are from Europe, the Middle East or Africa.
- You now need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) when you apply to extend your stay in Canada if you are from Europe, the Middle East or Africa.
In Canada applicants
Work permit or visitor extensions
- You are temporarily exempt from giving biometrics for your extension application until 2019. This is when biometrics collection points will be established in Canada.
Use this application if you are already in Canada temporarily and you want to:
- extend your stay
- change the conditions of your stay
- change your type of temporary status
- correct problems with your status
Make sure you apply before your current status expires.
If you are in Canada and need to both extend your work permit and renew your temporary resident visa (TRV), submit a separate application for the new visa only after we approve the extension of your work permit.
This application package includes:
- Document Checklist [IMM 5556] (PDF, 767.09KB) February 2018
- Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker [IMM 5710] (PDF, 484.21KB) June 2018
- Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union [IMM 5409] (PDF, 636.51KB) April 2015
- Use of a Representative [IMM 5476] (PDF, 648.31KB) September 2015
- Instruction Guide [IMM 5553]
There are two ways you can change conditions or extend your stay in Canada as a worker:
- Apply online
- Apply on paper
To apply on paper:
- Read the instruction guide to help you fill out your application.
- Filling out the form on a computer is easier than filling it out by hand. It reduces the risk of mistakes that can slow down your application.
- downloading? Right-click the link and select “Save Target As….” You can also find out more about downloading files in the Help Centre.
Fill out, validate, sign and date the forms.
To make sure you submit all the pages:
Click the “Validate” button at the top or bottom of the form.
Note: Validate the form before you print it. This will help make sure you have answered all the questions. It will help avoid delays in processing your application.
- A last page with barcodes and a signature line will automatically be created.
- Print, sign and date the form.
- For best results:
- print on white, bond-quality, non-glossy paper
- use a laser printer
- Place the barcode page on top of your package. If you have more than one package, place a separate barcode page on each one. Find out more about the barcode form.
- Pay the fees.
- Mail your application.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: