Applying as a Convention Refugee or as a Humanitarian—Protected Person Abroad
Use this application if you need protection and you want to resettle in Canada. To be eligible, you must either:
- meet the definition of a Convention refugee looking to be resettled or
- be a member of the Country of Asylum Class
This application package includes:
- Guide for Convention Refugees and Humanitarian-Protected Persons Abroad [IMM 6000]
- Generic Application Form for Canada [IMM 0008] (PDF, 652 KB)
- Additional Dependants/Declaration [IMM 0008DEP] (PDF, 424.19 KB)
- Schedule A – Background/Declaration [IMM 5669] (PDF, 776.39 KB)
- Schedule 2 Refugees Outside Canada [IMM 0008 SCHEDULE 2] (PDF, 2.13 MB)
- Use of a Representative [IMM 5476] (PDF, 648.31 KB)
How to use this application package
Read the instruction guide to help you fill out your application.
- Filling out the forms on a computer is easier than filling them out by hand. It reduces the risk of mistakes that can slow down your application.
- Trouble downloading? Right-click the link and select “Save Target As….” You can also find out more about downloading files in the Help Centre.
Fill out, validate, print, sign and date your application forms.
To make sure you submit all the pages:
IMM 0008 form
Click the "Validate" button. This button is at the top and bottom of the form.
Note: Validate the form before you print it. This will help make sure you have answered all the questions. It will help avoid delays in processing your application.
- A last page with barcodes and a signature line will automatically be created.
- Print, sign and date the form.
- For best results:
- print on white, bond-quality, non-glossy paper
- use a laser printer
- Place the barcode page on top of your package. If you have more than one package, place a separate barcode page on each one.
Privately Sponsorship Refugees (PSR)
Generally, your sponsor will submit your application on your behalf to the Resettlement Operations Centre in Ottawa (ROC-O) of IRCC.
Government Assisted Refugees (GAR)
After your case is referred by the UNHCR or another referral organization, the IRCC office abroad will tell you how to submit your completed forms directly to their office.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: