Application for Canadian Citizenship: Minors – Subsection 5(1)
Applications received at our Case Processing Centre (CPC) in Sydney, NS on March 1, 2021 or later must use forms from October 2020 or later (indicated on the lower left corner of the form). Application forms that are not up-to-date will be returned as incomplete. IRCC does not consider the date of signatures or mailing to be deciding factors.
This form for an application under subsection 5(1) is intended for minors (under 18 years) that are permanent residents who want to apply for Canadian citizenship.
- This application must be made by a person who has custody of the minor or who is empowered to act on their behalf by virtue of a court order or written agreement or by operation of law. The authorized person applying on behalf of the minor does not have to be a Canadian citizen.
- Minors who do not have an authorized person to apply on their behalf can request a waiver of this requirement on the application form. If you request a waiver, we will ask for more information.
To be eligible for Canadian citizenship, the minor:
- must be under 18 years of age on the day you sign the application
- must be a permanent resident (landed immigrant) of Canada
- must have been physically present in Canada for at least 1,095 days in the 5 years immediately before you apply
- may need to file personal income taxes for at least 3 years within the 5-year period, if required under the Income Tax Act
- can’t already have a Canadian parent
- can’t have any unfulfilled conditions relating to their permanent resident status
- can’t be under a removal order (asked by Canadian officials to leave Canada)
- can’t be inadmissible or prohibited on criminal or security grounds
If you are not sure whether you have Canadian citizenship or not, see if you may already be a citizen.
The application package includes an instruction guide and all the forms you need to fill out.
The application package includes:
- Instruction guide
- Application for Canadian Citizenship – Minors (under 18 years of age) applying under subsection 5(1) [Form CIT 0403] (PDF, 2.22MB)
- Document Checklist [Form CIT 0560] (PDF, 761.51KB)
- Citizenship Photo Specifications
- Residence Outside Canada [Form CIT 0177] (PDF, 667.46 KB)
- Use of a Representative [Form IMM 5476] (PDF, 648.31 KB)
- Request to Correct a Date of Birth for Citizenship [Form CIT 0464] (PDF, 1.15 MB)
- Request form for a Change of Sex or Gender Identifier [Form CIT 0404] (PDF, 1.52 MB)
Prepare a complete application
To make sure you submit all the pages of the application form with your application package, follow these steps:
- Click the “Validate” button at the top or bottom of the form.
Note: Validating the form before printing makes sure that you have answered all the questions. This will help you to avoid delays in processing your application.
- A last page with barcodes will automatically be created.
- Print and sign the form.
Note: For best results print on white, bond-quality, non-glossy paper using a laser printer.
- Place the barcode page on top of your package. If you have more than one package, place a separate barcode page on each one.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: