Change my address

If you have an application in process, you must tell us if you change your address. There are different ways of changing your address depending on whether you are:

In Canada

In most cases, you can use the online service. The changes should appear in your file within 5 business days.

Step 1 – Check if you are eligible to change your address online

You can use the online service if:

  • your case is being processed in Canada
  • your address is in Canada
  • you are moving within three weeks or have already moved
  • You must also have either:
    • sponsored a member of the family class,
    • applied for permanent residence from within Canada,
    • applied for a Permanent Resident Card,
    • applied for Canadian citizenship (for yourself or for a person adopted by a Canadian citizen),
    • applied for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship),
    • applied to renounce or resume Canadian citizenship, or
    • applied for a search of the citizenship records.

Step 2 – Gather your documents

You may need documents related to your application, including one or more of these:

  • a copy of your application
  • your fee receipts (IMM 5401)
  • any letter or official document we issued to you

Step 3 – Change your address online

Use the online service to tell us of your change of address.

If you can’t change your address online, you can change it using this Web form. Follow the instructions and include all the details we ask for.

Note: if you have an immigration application in process and a representative on file (paid or unpaid), the mailing address in your file will stay your representative’s address.

For more information, visit the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).

Note: If you have recently immigrated to Canada, you must tell us your new address to receive a permanent resident (PR) card. You can use the Address Notification online service.

Outside Canada

If you submitted an immigration application, you must contact the Canadian visa office serving your region to change your address.

If you submitted an application for a citizenship certificate (proof of citizenship), search in the citizenship records or to renounce (give up) your Canadian citizenship and:

  • You are in the United States: you can do one of the following:
    • Mail a letter to CPC-Sydney with your new address.
    • If you sent your application on or after September 2, 2013, read the acknowledgement letter we sent you. It will explain how to change your address.
    • If you sent your application before September 2, 2013, contact the Canadian embassy or consulate where you sent your application.
  • You are outside the United States, you must contact the Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate responsible for your region.


If you do not tell us or the visa office of your change of address, important documents could be delayed or lost. This could cause your application to be refused.

If you have applied for a pre-removal risk assessment (PRRA) or made an application for permanent residence based on humanitarian and compassionate (H&C) grounds, you should send your change of address to the Backlog Reduction Office in Vancouver.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: