Who can apply
To become a Canadian citizen, most applicants must
- be a permanent resident
- have lived in Canada for at least 3 out of the last 5 years (1,095 days)
- have filed your taxes, if you need to
- pass a citizenship test
- prove your language skills in English or French
Other requirements may apply.
Apply online, if you can
Some applicants can now apply online to become a Canadian citizen.
- will keep testing and improving the online application
- are working to make sure that more people can apply online
Do not apply online if you’ve already applied on paper, as we’re still processing your paper application.
Apply on paper
After you apply
Processing time: 12 months?
This includes processing of the complete application, the citizenship test, interview and ceremony.
After the citizenship ceremony
- applying for a passport
- voting in an election
- 1 year of free admission to Canada’s natural parks and cultural centres