How to get a police certificate - Belgium

If you need to give your fingerprints for a police certificate, this isn’t the same as giving your biometrics (fingerprints and photo) for an application.

Do I need to provide a police certificate with my application for permanent residence? Yes

Name of document(s) to get:

  • Central criminal record
    Uittreksel uit het strafregister - Model 595 / Extrait de casier judiciaire - Modèle 595

As of January 1, 2018, local Belgian authorities only issue a central criminal record. They no longer issue a certificate of good conduct (Verkaling Omtrent het Gedrag, VOG / Certificat de bonne conduite, vie et moeurs).

How to get a police certificate

If you live in Belgium:

You must submit a written request (by using a form) to the police in the municipality where you live. Get more information on how to apply on your municipal website.

The police certificate will be issued in the language of the municipality. Those issued in Dutch must be accompanied by a sworn translation in English or French.

If you live outside of Belgium:

You must send a personal written request by email or mail to the Federal Public Service Justice. See Special notes and considerations for complete address.

Information and documents you need:

  • Full name
  • Copy of identification (identity card, passport or residence card for foreigners)
  • Date and place of birth
  • Complete address
  • Reason for the request (e.g. immigration purposes)
  • Applicable fees

Special notes and considerations

Do I need a police certificate for International Experience Canada (IEC)?

If you are a citizen of Belgium, you don’t need to provide a police certificate from Belgium with your application. However, an immigration officer may request one at a later date.

You must provide police certificates for all other countries or territories where you have lived for a total of six months or more since your 18th birthday.

Service public fédéral Justice
DG Organisation judiciaire
Service du Casier judiciaire central
115 Waterloo Boulevard
1000 Brussels, Belgium

Belgium Website: Service du Casier judiciaire central (in French and Dutch only)

Email for information in French:

Email for information in Dutch:

Page details

Date modified: