How to get a police certificate - Kosovo

If you need to give your fingerprints for a police certificate, this isn’t the same as giving your biometrics (fingerprints and photo) for an application.

Name of the document you need

Police Certificate (Vertetim) and Certificate from the Court (Vertetimi nga Gjygji/Sudsko uverenje)

Police certificate and IRCC requirements

You must provide a police certificate when you apply for permanent residence in Canada.

You will also be requested to provide a police certificate to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) if you declared a criminal record on your application for an electronic travel authorization, work permit or study permit.

How to apply

If you live in Kosovo:

For the police certificate: you can apply in person at the local police station where you reside or appoint a close family member to apply on your behalf.

For the court certificate: you can apply at your local court (Gjykata Komunale).

If you live outside of Kosovo:

For the police certificate: you can apply by email to the Kosovo Police Directorate for International Cooperation at Please attach your completed application forms and a copy of your personal identification document. You may also appoint a close family member to apply on your behalf (some restrictions apply).

For the court certificate: a court certificate is not required if you have lived outside of Kosovo for the last six months or longer.

Special considerations

  • Application forms for a police certificate are available at local police stations.
  • Non-citizens must include proof of stay in Kosovo (present or past).
  • An English or French translation of your police certificate is required.

Contact information

Kosovo Police

Page details

Date modified: