How to get a police certificate - Montenegro (former Yugoslavia)

If you need to give your fingerprints for a police certificate, this isn’t the same as giving your biometrics (fingerprints and photo) for an application.

Name of the document you need

Certificate from the Ministry of Justice (Uverenje)

Police certificate and IRCC requirements

You must provide a police certificate when you apply for permanent residence in Canada.

You will also be requested to provide a police certificate to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) if you declared a criminal record on your application for an electronic travel authorization, work permit or study permit.

How to apply

If you live in Montenegro:

You should apply in person at the Ministry of Justice at: Vuka Karadžica 3, 81000 Podgorica. You can contact the Ministry of Justice by email at

If you live outside of Montenegro:

You can apply at your nearest Embassy of Montenegro or you can nominate a friend or relative to apply on your behalf in Montenegro, through a notarized statement.

If you are not a citizen and you live outside of Montenegro:

You should apply through your national Ministry of Foreign Affairs who will then contact the Embassy of Montenegro responsible for your country.

Special considerations

  • Complete an application form (can be downloaded from the website of the Ministry of Justice) to apply for your certificate.
  • You will need to provide your National Identity card (licna karta).
  • An English or French translation of your police certificate is required.
  • This certificate should not be confused with the Sudsko uverenje, which is issued by local courts and only covers the last six months.

Contact information

More information is available on the website of the Ministry of Justice.

Page details

Date modified: