How to get a police certificate – Vietnam

If you need to give your fingerprints for a police certificate, this isn’t the same as giving your biometrics (fingerprints and photo) for an application.

Name of the document you need

Judicial Certificate #2 or Criminal Record Certificate #2 (Phieu Ly Lich Tu Phap So 2)

Applying for permanent residence

You must provide a police certificate when you apply for permanent residence in Canada.

You will also be requested to provide a police certificate to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) if you declared a criminal record on your application for an electronic travel authorization, work permit or study permit.

How to apply

If you live in Vietnam:

You should apply in person or by mail at your nearest municipal or provincial Justice Department (So Tu Phap) where you live permanently or temporarily. If your place of permanent or temporary residence is unidentifiable, you should apply in person or by mail to the National Center for Judicial Records (Trung Tam Ly Lich Tu Phap Quoc Gia).

If you live outside of Vietnam:

You should send your completed application to the Department of Justice (So Tu Phap) by mail. (For reference, see addresses of Departments of Justice, in Vietnamese only).

Follow the general procedures to apply for a criminal record certificate according to Article 45 and Article 46 of current Law on Judicial Records.

You can fill in the online declaration form.

Special considerations

  • In your declaration, Form03/2013/TT-LLTP, you should state the reason why you are applying for a judicial record (i.e. Immigration purposes).
  • The judicial record is granted in Vietnamese. If you want an English translation, you may make a request when you receive your Vietnamese judicial record.
  • For more information on the Law on Judicial Records (Luat Ly Lich Tu Phap), please visit the Ministry of Justice website in English or Vietnamese.

Contact information

Ministry of Justice (Bo Tu Phap)
60 Tran Phu street, Ba Dinh, Ha Noi
Tel.: (84.4) 62739321
Fax: (84.4) 62739359

National Center for Criminal Record (Trung Tam Ly Lich Tu Phap Quoc Gia)
No.9 Tran Vi Street, Mai Dich Ward, Cau Giay District, Hanoi

(84.4) 32031313

Page details

Date modified: