Choose or update the gender identifier on your passport or travel document

There are 3 options for the “sex” field on passports for Canadians and travel documents for non-Canadians:

  • F—female
  • M—male
  • X—another gender

How you choose your gender identifier depends on

  • the type of travel document
  • if you’re applying for a new travel document or updating the one you already have

Before you travel

We can’t guarantee that other countries you visit or travel through will accept the sex or gender identifier on your passport or travel document. Check with our local Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate in the countries you plan to visit or travel through to make sure you understand their entry requirements.

You should also be aware that current systems used by some countries and travel companies may not recognize the X gender identifier. You may still be asked to provide your sex/gender information as either male or female when travelling.

Find more information on travelling abroad as an 2SLGBTQI+ Canadian.

On this page

Choosing your gender identifier on a new application

You need to provide supporting documents when you choose or update your gender identifier. We accept any of the following:

If your supporting documents show the gender identifier you want

When you apply for your new passport or travel document, you don’t need to provide any other documentation if

  • your previous passport or your verification of status document has the “X” observation sticker
  • your proof of citizenship, proof of immigration status or previous passport has the same gender identifier as what you want

If your supporting documents don’t have the gender identifier you want, the process for choosing your gender identifier is different.

If your supporting documents don’t show the gender identifier you want

You need to complete a gender identifier request form with your new application.

For an adult

Request – Sex or gender identifier – Adult 16 years of age or older [PPTC 643] (PDF, 1 MB)

For a child

Request – Sex or gender identifier – Child under 16 years of age [PPTC 644] (PDF, 1 MB)

You don’t need to include this request form if your previous passport or travel document has an “X” observation sticker.

To apply, follow the instructions for the passport or travel document you need and include your request form:

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: