Renew a passport from the United States

Your current location: 

If you already have an adult passport, you may be able to renew it. Renewing a passport is simpler than applying for a new one. This is because you don’t need

  • a guarantor
  • proof of Canadian citizenship
  • supporting identification

If your most recent passport is still valid, it

  • must be sent with your application, and
  • will be cancelled and cannot be used for travel

Who can renew their passport

Only adult passports can be renewed. If you’re under 16, you need to apply for a new child passport.

If you’re 16 or older, find out if you can renew your passport(opens in a new tab) .

You can now renew your passport even if it’s expired, damaged, lost or stolen.

You can renew your expired, damaged, lost or stolen passport if

  • it was issued within 15 years of the date you apply, and
  • you meet all the other requirements

Get the forms and instructions to apply

Answer the questions below. We’ll then

  • give you all the forms you need
  • tell you how to submit your application

You need to contact us as soon as possible to report the theft or loss of your previous passport.

How to get a passport from the U.S.

  1. Complete the form
  2. Get all the required documents and your passport photos
  3. Find 2 references
  4. Submit your application and pay your fees
  5. Get your passport

1. Complete the form

To save time, complete the form on your computer. Sign each page of the application.

Include your email address on the form so we can contact you if needed.

If your passport is lost or stolen but still valid

Since your passport is still valid, you also need to

If your passport is damaged but still valid

Since your passport is still valid, you also need to add a complete declaration concerning a lost, stolen, inaccessible, damaged or found Canadian travel document (PDF, 1.33 MB) to your application.

Instructions and tips

  • To save time, complete the form on your computer.
  • Read the instructions at the end of the form to make sure you complete it properly.
  • Sign each page of the application.
  • If the term “mother’s surname” doesn’t apply to you
    • cross it out on the form and write “parent’s surname at birth”
    • fill in the field with the surname (last name) at birth of 1 parent
    • write your initials in the margin

2. Get all the required documents and your passport photos

You need to include the following with your application:

  • the following 3 pieces of information:
    • the date your passport was issued
    • the date it expired
    • its passport number
  • your most recent passport, if it’s still valid
  • 2 identical passport photos
    • On the back of one of the photos, the photographer must write
      • their name
      • their complete address and
      • the date the photos were taken
    • Read the full photo requirements for more information.

Passport photo requirements in the U.S. are different than in Canada

Your photos must follow Canadian photo requirements. We’ll reject and return your application to you if you submit an unacceptable photo.

To avoid any problems, print a copy of the passport photo specifications (PDF, 652.38 KB) to bring with you to the photographer.

All your documents must be in either English or French. If a document is in another language, you must provide an official translation.

3. Find 2 references

You need to include 2 references to include on your application.

  • They must have known you for at least 2 years.
  • They cannot be a family member.

4. Submit your application and pay your fees

Use a certified courier or traceable mail service to reduce the delivery time of your application and help protect your documents.

Mailing address (non-courier)

Government of Canada
Passport Program
Gatineau, QC  K1A 0G3

Courier address

Government of Canada
Passport Program
22 de Varennes Street
Gatineau, QC  J8T 8R1

Pay your fees

Your fees depend on what services you’re getting and how you’re applying.

Fees and methods of payment for applications from the U.S. (opens in a new tab)

You won’t receive a refund for the service fee if you

  • cancel your application
  • are refused a passport or travel document
  • are issued a passport for a shorter validity period than requested
    • For example, if we issue a passport that’s valid for less than 5 years, despite you applying for a 5- or 10-year passport.
      • This may happen if you’ve lost your passport multiple times.

Only the consular fee, which applies to all adult applications, is refundable if a passport is not issued.

5. Get your passport

We’ll mail the passport and any original documents you submitted to your address in the U.S. by courier service. They may arrive in 2 different packages.

If you’re moving, but haven’t received your passport yet

Contact us to update your mailing address if you

  • haven’t received your passport and
  • are moving within 30 days of submitting your application

NEXUS cardholders

When you get your new passport, make sure your personal information is up to date in the Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) System.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Date modified: