Renew your passport: About the process
If you already have an adult passport, you may be able to renew it. Renewing a passport is simpler than applying for a new one.
To renew your passport, you’ll need to
- fill out an application form
- get your supporting documents and passport photos
- find 2 references
- find out how to submit your application and fees
Your current passport
- must be sent with your application and
- will be cancelled and cannot be used for travel
You now have extra time to renew your passport
Due to the impacts of COVID-19, we extended the eligibility period for Canadian passport renewals. You may be able to renew your passport if it expired on or after February 1, 2019.
This change lets you wait to renew your passport until you have plans to travel.
Answer a few questions to find out if you can renew your passport.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: