Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Citizenship
- How COVID-19 is affecting IRCC
- Travel restrictions and exemptions
- Workers, students and visitors
- Immigration applicants
- Refugees and PRRA applicants
- Canadians and citizenship applicants
- Passports and travel documents
- IRCC offices and VACs
- Permanent residents
- Temporary processing changes
- Settlement and resettlement service providers
If you’re travelling by air, you need to pass a health check before you’re allowed to board your flight. Anyone who shows symptoms of COVID-19 will not be allowed to fly to Canada.
When you arrive in Canada we’ll assess your health before you leave the port of entry. You must isolate for 14 days even if you have no symptoms. This is mandatory.
Only people who provide essential services and truck drivers who regularly cross the border to maintain the flow of goods are exempt from the isolation requirements.
Last updated: May 15, 2020
On this page:
- All citizenship events are cancelled
- Processing your citizenship application
- Submitting your application documents
- New applications
- Time you’ve lived in Canada (physical presence)
- Permanent resident (PR) card
All citizenship events are cancelled
We cancelled all citizenship events until further notice to keep everyone safe. This includes
- citizenship ceremonies
- citizenship tests and retests
- hearings (including videoconference hearings)
- citizenship events in our temporary offices (itinerant service trips)
Check the information letter or email we sent you about the events being cancelled.
- We’ll send you a new date and time as soon as possible.
- If you gave us your email address in your application, we’ll contact you by email.
- To avoid missing our emails, check your junk or spam folder.
- Look for messages from email addresses ending in “@cic.gc.ca.”
- If you didn’t provide an email address
- we’ll send the cancellation letter by mail or we’ll call you
- check your mailbox or voicemail messages often to see if you got it
Processing your citizenship application
There will be delays to the processing time.
To find out where we’re at with your application
- check your application status online, or
- if you can’t check your status online, contact us using our Web form
Submitting your application documents
If we request documents for your application (including medical opinion forms), you have an extra 90 days from the deadline in our request letter to submit them.
This extension applies to all citizenship applications, including
- Canadian citizenship for
- resuming Canadian citizenship
- giving up Canadian citizenship (renunciation)
- applying for a Canadian citizenship certificate (proof of citizenship)
- applying for a search of citizenship records
New citizenship applications
We’re still accepting new citizenship applications.
Time you’ve lived in Canada (physical presence)
Extra days spent abroad due to COVID-19 will not count as days in Canada. You must still meet the physical presence requirement for your citizenship application.
Permanent resident (PR) card
If you’re travelling, find out what to do if your card is expired or will expire soon.
You can use an expired PR card to
Please take a few moments to rate your experience with this page.
Updates and related links
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: