Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Visitors to Canada
Flights from India and Pakistan
As of April 22, 2021, at 11:30 pm ET, Canada is suspending flights from India and Pakistan. Travel restrictions may change with little warning.
We recognize that the travel restrictions have an impact on many people who can’t travel to Canada right now. These restrictions stop most discretionary travel to Canada.
Due to the impacts of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), we:
- are temporarily changing how you apply
- are prioritizing applications from people who are eligible to travel to Canada
- can’t process applications normally
- can’t provide accurate processing times
We continue to process applications, so you can be ready to travel when the restrictions are lifted.
Even if you have a valid visitor visa or electronic travel authorization (eTA), you may not be able to travel at this time or be guaranteed entry to Canada.
On this page
- Who is eligible to travel to Canada
- What you need to do if you’re eligible to travel to Canada
- If you’re already in Canada, and your visitor status is still valid
- If you’re in Canada, and your visitor status has expired
Who is eligible to travel to Canada
Foreign nationals, including United States (US) citizens, can travel to Canada as visitors only if they’re eligible. Restrictions vary depending on where you’re coming from.
If you’re coming to Canada to unite with family
There are documents you need and instructions to follow in order to unite with your family.
What you need to do if you’re eligible to travel to Canada
You need to use ArriveCAN
Use ArriveCAN before checking in at the airport or crossing a land border to submit your
- travel and contact information
- quarantine plan
- COVID-19 symptoms self-assessment
Make sure you’re using the newest version of ArriveCAN
On February 22, 2021, we released a new version of the ArriveCan app. If you submitted your information before February 22, you must download the latest version of ArriveCAN and then
- re-enter your information
- answer the new questions
- submit your information and answers to get a new ArriveCAN receipt to show the border services officer
If you’re eligible to travel to Canada at this time, but you don’t have a visa or eTA, you need to tell us, so we can prioritize your application. What you need to do depends on if you’ve already applied or not.
If you’ve already applied for a visa or eTA
Follow the steps for
If you haven’t applied for a visa or eTA yet
- Use our online tool to find out if you need a visitor visa or an eTA.
- Follow the instructions to
If you’re not eligible to travel right now
You can apply for a visitor visa or an eTA, even if you’re not eligible to travel at this time. If your application is approved, you must wait for the travel restrictions to end to travel to Canada.
If you’re already in Canada, and your visitor status is still valid
You can apply online for a visitor record to extend your stay in Canada.
When you apply, make sure you include a note explaining why you need to extend your stay in Canada.
If you’re a visitor who needs a work permit
We’re temporarily allowing visitors to apply online for a work permit from inside Canada.
If you’re in Canada, and your visitor status has expired
You may be able to restore your status.
Updates and related links
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: