Find out if you can apply for permanent residence as a caregiver for children

You must meet all the requirements below to apply through the Caring for Children Program. You must also plan to live outside the province of Quebec.

We are reviewing the Caring for Children and Caring for People with High Medical Needs pilot programs to determine how caregivers will apply for permanent residence after the pilots expire on November 29, 2019. We will announce the details well before the pilots expire.

These 5-year pilot programs are scheduled to expire on November 29, 2019. To be eligible to apply for them, you will need to have two years of full-time work experience as a caregiver and submit your application before that date.

The Government is committed to ensuring that caregivers continue to have a pathway to permanent residence.

Work experience

You must have at least 24 months of full-time work experience in Canada as a home child care provider in the four years (48 months) before you apply.

  • full-time work means at least 30 hours of paid work per week
  • you can have breaks in employment (for example, periods where you were not employed, sick leave, parental leave)
  • any work experience you had while you were a full-time student does not count

As a home child care provider, your work must match the description in Canada’s National Occupational Classification (NOC) Group 4411.

  • foster parents are not eligible
  • you must show that you performed the duties in the job description, including most of the main duties

You must have cared for children under the age of 18, in your own home or in your employer’s home. You do not need to have lived in your employer’s home to qualify

We will refuse your application if you do not show that your work experience meets the NOC job description.

Language ability

You must:

  • prove your ability in English or French for speaking, reading, listening and writing
  • include the original language test results when you apply
    • Your language test results must be less than two years old on the day we get your application

You must include original language test results with your application. If you don’t we will not process it and will send it back to you. The results must show you meet the minimum language levels when you apply.


You must have a completed:

  • Canadian post-secondary degree, diploma or certificate of at least one year


  • foreign degree, diploma or certificate and
  • an original Educational Credential Assessment (ECA)
    • from an organization we have approved
    • that shows your education is equal to a completed Canadian degree, diploma, certificate of at least one year.

You must provide proof that you meet the minimum education requirement when you apply. If you don’t, we will not process your application and will send it back to you.


Some people are not admissible to Canada. This means they are not allowed to come here. Many things can make you inadmissible, such as being involved in:

  • criminal activity
  • human rights violations
  • organized crime

You can also be inadmissible for security, health or financial reasons.

If you are not admissible to Canada, you should not apply through this program.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: