Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot: Get your work experience

Get your work experience

Occupation-restricted open work permit

To get the work experience you need to qualify for permanent residence, you’ll get an occupation-restricted open work permit. This permit lets you work temporarily in Canada.

With this work permit:

Get a social insurance number

The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number that you will need to work in Canada and to access government programs and benefits. You should apply for a SIN as soon as possible after you arrive in Canada.

To apply for your SIN, contact the nearest Service Canada office.

Work experience you need to support your permanent residence application

To support your application for permanent residence, you need to get at least 24 months of qualifying work experience.

You don’t have to work 24 months in a row, just 24 months total.

Send us proof of your work experience

When you have 24 months of qualifying work experience, send us proof. You must send us proof of your qualifying work experience no later than 36 months after you get your work permit.

Any work experience you have before you apply can count to your 24 months as long as:

Make sure to keep any documents to show that you have 24 months of work experience such as:

See the Document Checklist – Home Child Care Provider and Home Support Worker [IMM 5981] (PDF, 3.39 MB) for what to send as proof. The instruction guide tells you how to submit it.

After you send us proof of your work experience, we make a final decision on your permanent residence based on:

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: