Find out if you’re eligible to apply for permanent residence – Caring for people with high medical needs
You must meet all the requirements below to apply through the Caring for People with High Medical Needs Program. You must also plan to live outside the province of Quebec.
You must have at least 24 months of full-time work experience in Canada in the four years (48 months) before you apply.
Your experience must be in one of these jobs listed in the Canadian National Occupational Classification:
- Registered nurses and registered psychiatric nurses ( 3012)
- Licensed practical nurses ( 3233)
- Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates ( 3413)
- Home support workers and related occupations ( 4412)
- Only Home support workers are eligible under 4412. Housekeepers are not eligible.
We will refuse your application if you do not show that your work experience meets the description for one of the jobs listed above.
For this work experience:
- full-time work means at least 30 hours of paid work per week
- breaks in employment are allowed (for example, periods where you were not employed, sick leave, parental leave)
- you must show that your job matched the NOC job description and you must have done most of the main duties.
- prove that you are licensed to practice in Canada
- provide proof that you are registered with the regulatory body, as required, in your province or territory at the time you apply
You must prove that you meet the requirements of the job you are claiming work experience for. This includes:
- or other qualifications as set out in the NOC job description.
You must prove your ability in English or French for speaking, reading, listening and writing. We use the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) system to assess your skills.
- take a language test from an agency we have approved
- meet minimum language levels for your job (use your test results to find your CLB level):
- if you got your work experience in Canada as a registered nurse or registered psychiatric nurse (NOC 3012), you must meet minimum CLB 7 in either English or French for all four language abilities.
- if you got your work experience in Canada in any other eligible job (NOC 3233, NOC 3413 or NOC 4412), you must meet minimum CLB 5 in either English or French for all four language abilities
- include the original language test results when you apply
- your results must be less than two years old on the day we get your application.
You will not have another chance to prove your language abilities. We will only use the test results that you provide when you apply to assess you.
You must provide original language test results that show you meet the minimum language levels for your job when you apply. If you don’t, we will not process your application and will send it back to you.
You must have a completed:
- Canadian post-secondary degree, diploma or certificate of at least one year
- foreign degree, diploma or certificate and
- original Educational Credential Assessment (ECA)
- from an organization we have approved
- that shows your education is equal to a completed Canadian post-secondary degree, diploma or certificate of at least one year.
You must provide proof that you meet the minimum education requirement when you apply. If you don’t, we will not process your application and will send it back to you.
Some people not admissible to Canada. This means they are not allowed to come here. Many things can make you inadmissible, such as being involved in:
- criminal activity,
- human rights violations or
- organized crime.
You can also be inadmissible for security, health or financial reasons.
If you are not admissible to Canada, you should not apply through this program.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: