Caring for people with high medical needs: Who can apply

You must meet all the requirements below to apply through the Caring for People with High Medical Needs Program. You must also plan to live outside the province of Quebec.

Work experience

You must have at least 24 months of full-time work experience in Canada in the four years (48 months) before you apply.

Your experience must be in one of these jobs listed in the Canadian National Occupational Classification:

  • Registered nurses and registered psychiatric nurses (3012)
  • Licensed practical nurses (3233)
  • Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates (3413)
  • Home support workers and related occupations (4412)
    • Only Home support workers are eligible under 4412. Housekeepers are not eligible.

We will refuse your application if you do not show that your work experience meets the description for one of the jobs listed above.

For this work experience:

  • full-time work means at least 30 hours of paid work per week
  • breaks in employment are allowed (for example, periods where you were not employed, sick leave, parental leave)
  • you must show that your job matched the NOC job description and you must have done most of the main duties.

If you got your work experience in Canada as a registered nurse or registered psychiatric nurse (NOC 3012) or as a licensed practical nurse (NOC 3233), you must:

  • prove that you are licensed to practice in Canada
  • provide proof that you are registered with the regulatory body, as required, in your province or territory at the time you apply

Employment requirements

You must prove that you meet the requirements of the job you are claiming work experience for. This includes:

  • education
  • training
  • or other qualifications as set out in the NOC job description.


Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: