Eligibility to apply for the Canadian Experience Class (Express Entry)
- meet the required language levels needed for your job for each language ability
- have at least 1 year of skilled work experience in Canada, in the last 3 years before you apply. The work experience must be:
- full-time or
- an equal amount in part-time
- have gained your work experience by working in Canada legally
According to the Canadian National Occupational Classification, skilled work experience means:
- managerial jobs (skill level 0)
- professional jobs (skill type A)
- technical jobs and skilled trades (skill type B)
Your work experience can be in 1 or more NOC 0, A or B jobs.
You must show that you performed the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the National Occupational Classification. This includes all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed.
Self-employment and work experience gained while you were a full-time student (such as a co-op work term) doesn’t count under this program.
There is no education requirement for the Canadian Experience Class.
But, if you want to improve your rank in the Express Entry pool, there are 2 ways you can do this.
- If you went to school in Canada, you can get points for a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian:
- secondary (high school) or
- post-secondary school
- If you have foreign education, you can get points for:
- meet the minimum language level of:
- Canadian Language Benchmark 7 for NOC 0 or A jobs or
- Canadian Language Benchmark 5 for NOC B jobs
- take approved language tests for:
- describe the test results in your Express Entry profile
Your language tests are valid for 2 years after the date of the test result and must be valid on the day you apply for permanent residence.
You must be admissible to Canada.
Where you can live in Canada
You must plan to live outside the province of Quebec. The province of Quebec selects its own skilled workers. If you plan on living in Quebec, see Quebec-selected skilled workers for more information.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: