Get a permanent resident card

You need a valid permanent resident (PR) card to prove you’re a permanent resident when you return to Canada from another country.

If your card has expired or expires in the next 9 months, renew it before you travel.

If you need it urgently, check to see if you qualify.

If you’re outside Canada without a valid PR card, apply for a permanent resident travel document.

It might take longer than normal to process your application. This could delay your return to Canada.

We’re offering assistance to people affected by Hurricane Fiona

If you were directly affected by the hurricane, you may be able to get

  • free replacement of documents that are lost, damaged, destroyed or inaccessible due to the floods
  • urgent processing and a refund for an application you’ve submitted because of the floods

Learn more about the special measures.

Services and information

Permanent resident status

How to get a PR card, permanent resident rights, losing or renouncing your permanent resident status

Apply for, renew or replace a PR card

Eligibility, application forms and how to apply for, replace or renew a PR card

Change your address

Submit or update your address to get your PR card

Correct a mistake

Eligibility, how to apply and why your name may be shortened

Get a PR photo

Photo size, what can and can’t be worn and who can take a photo

Permanent resident travel document

Eligibility and how to return to Canada without a valid PR card

Urgent processing

Eligibility, processing times and how to apply if you are inside or outside Canada

Check application status

Sponsorship, permanent resident and citizenship status by your identification number, name, date and place of birth

Record your trips outside Canada

Use the travel journal to record your trips outside Canada


Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: