Permanent resident travel document: About the process

If you’re outside Canada without a valid PR card, you need to apply for a permanent resident travel document (PRTD).

A PRTD is normally only valid for one single entry. You should apply for a new PR card as soon as you resume residence in Canada.


Permanent resident travel document: Error loading fee. Check the fee list.

Processing time ?


All PRTD applications are processed on a priority basis. If we require further information, a letter will be sent to you.

Giving up permanent resident status

If you want to give up (renounce) your permanent resident status and want to come to Canada as a visitor only, don’t apply for a PRTD. You should apply to voluntarily give up (renounce) your permanent resident status.

Page details

Date modified: