Apply for, renew or replace a PR card: About the process
Special measures for Canadian citizens or permanent residents in Iran
If you’re a Canadian citizen or permanent resident currently in Iran, you can apply for the following documents for free:
- Canadian passport
- Canadian citizenship certificate
- permanent resident travel document
Renew or Replace: Error loading the number of days. Try again.
New PR card: Error loading the number of days. Try again.
PR Card: $50
A permanent resident (PR) card proves you’re a permanent resident when you return to Canada from another country. Before you apply, make sure you’re eligible.
If you want to leave Canada
Make sure you have your valid permanent resident (PR) card. You’ll need it to return to Canada by plane, train, bus or boat.
- Renew your PR card before leaving Canada.
- If you need your application processed urgently, check and see if you qualify.
Even if you qualify for urgent processing, we can’t guarantee that you’ll get your PR card on time. We can’t process PR card applications in less than 3 weeks.
Return to Canada without a valid permanent resident (PR) card
If you leave, or have already left Canada without a valid PR card, you must apply for a permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to re-enter Canada.
It might take longer than normal to process your PRTD application. This could delay your return to Canada.
When travelling to Canada, you need your valid PR card or PRTD when boarding any of the following vehicles:
If you don’t have your document with you, you may not be allowed to board.
Top questions about the permanent resident card
- What happens if my PR card expires while I am outside Canada?
- I’m a new permanent resident of Canada. Do I need to apply for a PR card?
- How long will it take to process my PR card?
- I need to leave Canada and I do not have a PR card. Can I later re-enter Canada?
- How do I renew my permanent resident card?
- I have reclaimed my Indigenous name. How do I update my PR card?
- Date modified: