Apply for, renew or replace a PR card: About the process

Special measures for Canadian citizens or permanent residents in Iran

If you’re a Canadian citizen or permanent resident currently in Iran, you can apply for the following documents for free:

  • Canadian passport
  • Canadian citizenship certificate
  • permanent resident travel document

Learn more about the special measures.

Processing time ?

Renew or replace: Error loading the number of days. Try again.

New PR card: Error loading the number of days. Try again.


PR card: $50

A permanent resident (PR) card proves you’re a permanent resident when you return to Canada from another country.

How long your card will be valid

A permanent resident (PR) card is usually issued for 5 years, but can sometimes be issued for 1 year instead. It is valid until the expiry date listed on the card.

Where to get your PR card

We only send PR cards to addresses within Canada. In some cases, you may have to pick up your card in person at one of our Canadian offices.

If you find a mistake on your PR card

You can ask for it to be reissued.

Sometimes we shorten a name on the card if it’s too long to fit. This is not a mistake.

Find out how to fix a mistake on your PR card.

If you want to leave Canada

Make sure you have your valid PR card.

Even if you qualify for urgent processing, we can’t guarantee that you’ll get your PR card on time.

We can’t process PR card applications in less than 3 weeks.

How to return to Canada without a valid PR card

If you leave, or have already left Canada without a valid PR card, you must apply for a permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to re-enter Canada.

It might take longer than normal to process your PRTD application. This could delay your return to Canada.

Apply for a PRTD.

What you need to return to Canada

You need your valid PR card or PRTD to travel to Canada by

  • plane
  • train
  • bus
  • boat

If you don’t have your document with you, you may not be allowed to board.

Page details

Date modified: