Permanent resident travel document: After you apply

Your Visa Application Centre (VAC) may be closed due to COVID-19

Find out how to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) to return to Canada if your VAC is closed or unable to accept PRTD applications.

How we process your application

After you send your application through a visa application centre (VAC), a VAC agent will review it to make sure your application is complete and has all the documents specified in the checklist.

A visa officer will then assess your application to determine whether you have met your residency obligations and whether you are still a permanent resident of Canada. The visa officer will decide if you need an interview. If you do, the VAC will tell you the time and place of your interview.

If a visa officer refuses your application, we will return your passport and other documents to you. If you sent false documents, we will not return them.

If a visa officer approves your application, we will return your passport and original documents to you with your permanent resident travel document.

Change of address

If you move or change your address, telephone number or any other contact information after you apply, you must tell the nearest Canadian visa office by using their case specific Web form.

Using a representative

You do not need a representative to help you with your application. Whether or not you use a representative is a personal choice. Find out more about using a representative.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: