Permanent residence for extended family of former language and cultural advisors: About the public policy
This temporary public policy creates a pathway to permanent residence for the extended family of former language and cultural advisors (LCA).
We will accept new applications until we reach 380 principal applicants or until December 31, 2023, whichever comes first.
The former LCA must:
- have worked for Canada’s Department of National Defence (DND)
- in Afghanistan
- between 2001 and 2021
- as a language and cultural advisor
- have been a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada when they worked for DND
- still be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who currently lives in Canada
- we’ll only accept complete applications for processing
- we’ll return your application to you if it is not complete
- you won’t be considered under this public policy if you send an email on its own without a complete application included
What the former language and cultural advisor (LCA) in Canada is expected to do
Your extended family member in Canada (the former LCA) needs to provide you with information to include in your application.
They are also expected to help you (and anyone coming with you) settle in Canada by:
- providing you with financial support
- finding temporary housing for you and your family members before you arrive
- picking you up or arranging transportation at the airport when you arrive
- helping you set up a Canadian bank account and send your banking information to us (for your one-time income support payment)
- helping you apply for provincial or territorial health care coverage, including your new health card
- working with you to find permanent housing
- Date modified: