Permanent residence for extended family of former language and cultural advisors: How to apply

The deadline to apply for this special program was December 31, 2023. We are no longer accepting new applications.

We’ll continue to prioritize processing all eligible applications.

You can complete and send the application to us yourself. If you choose to use a representative to help you, you must fill out a Use of a Representative form [IMM 5476] (PDF, 264 KB).

Your family member in Canada, the former language and cultural advisor, (LCA) can help you with your application if you can’t complete it yourself because of

  • safety and security reasons
  • accessibility issues
  • lack of access to the required technology (like printers or scanners)

If they help you, and you want them to act as your representative (which means we'll communicate with them directly), you must

  • write, date and sign a letter exactly as described in the instruction guide, and
  • include this letter in your application

Step 1: Get the instruction guide

Read the instruction guide [IMM 0188] before you complete the forms. It includes information about

Step 2: Get your checklist and forms


Use your checklist to make sure you include all the forms and documents you need. Place the checklist on top, as a cover to your application package.

You, your representative or your family member (the former LCA) must send all your forms and documents together in 1 package.

Forms you must fill out

Form your family member in Canada (the former LCA) must fill out

Forms for you to fill out, ONLY if you’re in Afghanistan

Forms for you to fill out, if needed

Step 3: Complete your application

Use the instruction guide to fill out your forms.

Visit our Help Centre if you need help to complete an application.

Make sure you have Adobe Reader 10 or higher and JavaScript turned on. If you have trouble downloading a form, right-click the link and choose “Save target as…”

Complete the forms on your computer instead of by hand. This may help reduce mistakes that can cause delays.

How to include family in your application

You must list all your family members in your application, even if they aren’t coming with you to Canada. If you don’t list a family member on your application, you won’t be able to sponsor them to come to Canada in the future.

If your application is approved, the only family members who can come with you to Canada are

Step 4: Fees

You don’t have to pay any fees for this application, including the right of permanent residence fee.

Step 5: Submit your application by email

Before you submit your application, make sure

When you’re ready, email your completed application to

See the application guide for how to name your documents and how to get your email ready.

Page details

Date modified: