Apply to sponsor a refugee – Groups of Five
Note: Quebec has its own process for sponsoring refugees. For sponsors in Quebec, visit refugee sponsorship in Quebec.
Before you apply, read the application package to make sure that you are qualified to apply as a Group of Five (G5) sponsor. You should also read the Guide to the Private Sponsorship of Refugees Program.
G5s may only sponsor applicants who are recognized as refugees by either the United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) or a foreign state.
You must include with the refugee sponsorship application a document proving refugee status recognition that the UNHCR or a foreign state has issued. We will accept a photocopy of the original document. See the application package for information on what documents you need.
There are three steps to apply to become a G5 sponsor:
1. Decide if you want to request a refugee profile
In some cases, a G5 may want to sponsor a specific refugee or refugee family abroad, such as a:
- family member,
- friend, or
- refugee identified by an overseas contact.
This is known as a “sponsor-referred refugee.”
Sponsor–referred refugees must qualify under Canada’s refugee and humanitarian resettlement program. Both you and the refugee must fill out an application. After you apply, visa officers abroad will assess the application to decide whether the person you want to sponsor qualifies.
In other cases, your group may ask for a Visa Office-Referred (VOR) refugee. These refugees are eligible and have already been chosen by a visa officer abroad. They just need a private sponsor before they can come to Canada.
You can find more information about the VOR program in the Guide to the Private Sponsorship of Refugees Program.
To ask for a refugee profile, fill out the Request for a Refugee Profile IMM 5438 (PDF, 572.45KB).
2. Get the application package
The package includes the application guide and all of the forms you need to fill out. Download and print the application package.
Tips for completing your application:
- Before you start, read the Instruction Guide (IMM 5314) carefully. It has detailed instructions for completing all the required forms.
- Gather all of the necessary documents. They are listed in the document checklist.
- Photocopy the blank forms and use one as a working copy. Keep the working copy for your records.
- Fill in the forms carefully and completely. You can complete and save many of the forms on your computer. Print the forms after you fill them out. If you are filling out the forms by hand, print clearly in black ink. Sign and date your forms.
- Complete these forms:
- Undertaking/Application to Sponsor (IMM 5373);
- Sponsor Assessment (IMM 5492);
- Settlement Plan — Group of 5 (IMM 5373A);
- Financial Profile — Member of Group of Five (IMM 5373B);
- Document Checklist (IMM 5437).
- Request for a Refugee Profile (IMM 5438). You must complete this form if you want to ask for a refugee profile. See the section above for more information;
- Use of a Representative (IMM 5476). You must complete this form if you want to use a representative or an agent to help you apply. Using a representative is a personal choice. Find out more about using immigration representatives.
- The refugees you are applying to sponsor must complete the Application for Convention Refugees Abroad and Humanitarian-Protected Persons Abroad (IMM 6000). You do not have to do this step if you are asking for a refugee profile.
- Enclose proof of refugee status recognition for the principal refugee applicant. We will accept a photocopy of the original document.
3. Submit your application
Use the document checklist to make sure that you have included everything you need. Sign and date your forms. Mail the documents to:
Resettlement Operations Centre in Ottawa (ROC-O) New
365 Laurier Avenue West
We've changed our address
Starting April 1, 2017, all Privately Sponsored Refugee (PSR) applications should be mailed to the address listed above.
Make sure you give us your complete return mailing address.
We will not process your application if it is incomplete. We will return it to the person or group that submitted it.
Remember, it is up to you to keep your application up-to-date.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: