You don’t need a study permit

You can apply to study at the school of your choice without a study permit if both of the following apply:

  • your studies aren’t part of a longer study program
  • you complete your studies within the amount of time we’ve approved you to stay in Canada
    • This is usually 6 months after you enter

However, you may want to get a study permit even if you don’t need one.

A study permit isn’t a visa

Even though you don’t need a study permit, you still need a valid passport or travel document. Depending on your travel document, you also need one of the following:

Having one of these allows you to enter Canada.

Find out if you need a visa

Citizens of the United States (U.S.)

You don’t need a visitor visa or an eTA to enter Canada. However, you must carry proper identification and meet the basic requirements to enter Canada.

Permanent residents of the U.S.

If you’re entering Canada by air, you need an eTA. Otherwise, you don’t need a visitor visa or an eTA to enter Canada. Regardless of how you travel to Canada, carry valid proof of U.S. lawful permanent residence status, such as a valid green card.

Please take a few moments to rate your experience with the Find out if you need a study permit tool.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: