Work or live in Canada after you graduate

To work in Canada after you graduate, you need a work permit. Graduates of certain designated learning institutions are eligible for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP). If you're not eligible for a PGWP, you may still be able to work in Canada after you graduate. The work experience you gain while working may help you qualify for permanent residence.

New rules about where to apply for a PGWP

As of June 21,2024, you can no longer apply for a PGWP at a port of entry (airport, land or marine border) when entering Canada.

Processing times

You may need to give biometrics with your application. This processing time doesn’t include the time you need to give biometrics.


PGWP: $CAN 255

Restoration of student status and PGWP: $CAN 634

Page details

Date modified: