Work as a co–op student or intern
Some programs include work experience as part of their curriculum. You may apply for a co-op or intern work permit if:
- you have a valid study permit,
- working is a key part of your study program in Canada,
- you have a letter from your school that confirms all students in your program need to complete work placements to get their degree
- your co-op or internship is 50 per cent or less of the total program of study.
You aren’t eligible for a co-op work permit if you are studying:
- English or French as a second language (ESL/FSL) or
- general interest courses or courses to prepare for another study program.
In these cases, you need to get a valid work permit to work in Canada.
How to apply
Applying with your study permit
Your acceptance letter must confirm that a co-op or internship placement is part of your program’s curriculum. You then only need to apply for a study permit and we will process the work permit as part of your application.
Applying after you started studying
There are two ways you can apply if you are in Canada and want to apply for a co-op work permit:
To apply online you must have:
- access to a scanner or digital camera to make electronic copies of your documents for uploading and
- a valid credit card to pay with.
Note: If you give an email address on your application, check it regularly for emails about your case. Some spam filters block these emails. If you are not sure if you are getting our emails, check your account on a regular basis.
Apply on paper
Follow these three steps:
1. Get the application package
The package includes the application guide and all the forms you need to fill out.
Read the guide carefully before you complete the application form. Photocopy the blank forms and use one as a working copy and the other one as the final copy that you send to us. Keep the working copy for your records.
2. Complete application and attach necessary documents
The application form has instructions. Read them and be sure to give us all the documents we asked for.
If information or documents are missing, it may delay your application. The document checklist in the application package lists all the documents to include.
Answer all questions carefully, completely and truthfully. We will not process incomplete applications. We will return them to you. This will delay the application process and you may need to reapply.
There is no processing fee for this work permit.
3. Submit application
The application kit contains the mailing address where you must send your application.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: