Invite delegates to Canada for an event or meeting

If you organize an international event or meeting in Canada, you can get useful information and support on Canada’s entry and visa requirements from our Special Events Unit.

Here are key steps that delegates should keep in mind when they plan to travel to Canada:

Entry requirements for visitors to Canada

Many visitors to Canada need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa. Delegates can find out if they need an eTA or a visa and if they need to give biometrics.

While some delegates may not need an eTA or a visa to visit or transit through Canada, they will still need to:

The eTA application process

Applying for an eTA is a simple and inexpensive ($7 Canadian) online process that will take just a few minutes. Most eTA-eligible applicants will get their authorization within minutes of submitting the online form.

If your delegates need an eTA, they should:

  • get it when they plan their trip – do not wait for the last minute to apply (see Travel documents), and
  • travel to Canada with the passport they used to get their eTA.

Find out if your delegates need an eTA.

The visa application process

Delegates can:

Minors travelling to Canada

Canada has laws and regulations to protect children. Delegates who plan to travel with a child (17 years of age or younger) should consult the entry requirements for minors.

Things to consider when organizing an international event or a meeting in Canada

  • Protocol for heads of state, ministers or diplomats:
    If you invite high-level government officials such as heads of state, ministers or diplomats to your event and you have questions about protocol and reception services, contact the Office of Protocol at Global Affairs Canada. For more information, visit the Office of Protocol’s website.
  • Reception counter:
    You may consider setting up a reception counter at the airport, where your representatives can greet delegates. Contact the airport where your delegates will arrive if you plan to do so.
  • Border requirements:
    All equipment and goods brought into Canada for the event must be reported to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). Contact the CBSA for information on border requirements for:
    • delegates and goods entering Canada, and
    • documents and procedures that may be needed.

Contact the nearest CBSA office in your province or area, or visit the CBSA International Events website.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: