Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA): How to apply
Exemptions ending for certain travellers entering Canada
Effective January 15, 2022, 00:01 (EST), some foreign national travellers who were previously allowed to enter Canada without being fully vaccinated will now be required to be fully vaccinated in order to enter Canada. There will also be changes to testing and quarantine exemptions for certain travellers, regardless of citizenship, entering Canada.
Applying for an eTA is a simple online process. Most applicants get their eTA approval (via an email) within minutes. However, some requests can take several days to process if you're asked to submit supporting documents. It is best to get an eTA before you book your flight to Canada.
You need to use ArriveCAN
Use ArriveCAN to provide mandatory travel information required for entry into Canada.
Make sure you’re using the newest version of ArriveCAN. If you previously submitted your information using an older version of ArriveCan, you must download the latest version and resubmit your information.
Overview of the eTA application process
1. Get your passport, credit or debit card ready, and read the help document.
2. Use the online form to apply. The form cannot be saved. So have your information ready.
3. Pay $7 CAD for your eTA right after you complete the form.
4. Get an email about your eTA application. Most applications are approved within minutes.
5. You may need to submit documents before your application can be approved. If this happens to you, an email will be sent with instructions within 72 hours.
Help with the form or other eTA questions
The eTA application form is only in English and French. To help you apply for an eTA, descriptions of each field in the form are available in the following languages:
Get answers to eTA questions like what happens after you apply and when you may need to apply for an eTA again.
What you need to complete the form and pay for your eTA
You will need:
- a valid passport from a visa-exempt country
- a valid email address, AND
- one of the following acceptable methods of payment to pay the $7 CAD fee (non-refundable):
- Visa®, Mastercard®, American Express®,
- a pre-paid Visa®, Mastercard® or American Express®,
- Visa Debit, or Debit Mastercard,
- JCB Card®, or
- You can only apply and pay for one person at a time. For example, for a family of three, you will need to complete and submit the form three times.
- Make sure you print your receipt right away. You won't be able to print it later or receive a copy of it.
- You will hear from us by email only. Check your junk mail folder.
- Your information can't be saved. You have limited time to complete the form, however, you can extend your session if you need a few more minutes. When the “Session timeout warning” box appears, click the “Continue session” button. Review the help document to make sure you have everything you need to complete the form.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: